With Chinese New Year just round the corner, it’s the time of the year where us humans start feasting on various Chinese New Year goodies. Bak Kwa (dried meat) is one of most popular treats during this period and it’s not difficult to see why. It's salty and sweet and packed full of protein.
If you have dogs that love their treats, here’s an easy and relatively affordable dog-friendly recipe for a Bak Kwa! To make it healthy for the pups, we’ve made all the unhealthy seasoning optional. While it’s important to pamper them, it’s even more important to treat them with ingredients that are healthy for them!
- 500 grams of Minced Pork (at least 15% fat)
- Soy sauce, fish sauce, five spice powder (optional)
- Honey (optional)
- Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil (optional – if you want to give your pup and extra boost)
To ensure your homemade DIY pork jerky is tender, choose minced pork that has at least 10 to 15% fat. Use chilled meat instead of frozen meat so that there are less moisture!
- Place all the minced meat in a bowl and mix with a pair of chopsticks
- If you choose to put in some seasoning (soy sauce, fish sauce, five spice powder), mix it into the minced meat. Remember less is more when it comes to seasoning for our pups!
- Stir the meat mixture until it gets a little bit sticky
- Roll meat mixture evenly onto a baking pan (cover the pan to about 2mm thickness)
- Bake for 120 degree Celsius for about 25 to 30 minutes
- Flip and bake the other side for another 10 to 15 minutes. Brush honey on top if you choose to include that as an ingredient
- Cut into desire bite size squares
- Let it cool and reward your pup!
We hope you furry friends and you have a great Chinese New Year in 2021 with lots of great treats. Tag us on instagram @Perkytails if you’ve made your pup some pork jerky!
If you're looking for some healthy dog treats that reward, supplement and treat all in one, check out our shop for dog treats with real benefits!